Fancy Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich
May 28, 2020
We live in the countryside, in between Philadelphia and Lancaster. My guys have one favorite food that is at the tops...a Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Honestly, I must admit that they are incredible!! We had some leftover grilled strip steaks and I didn't have enough to truly feed my family of 5 with the leftovers. But I knew that if I sliced it thin, added some veggies and cheese and put it on a roll, we could have a feast with those leftovers! Of course we would have preferred a hoagie roll but afterall, it is quarantine and this is what we had. And let me tell you, we all loved this "Fancy" Philadelphia Cheesesteak!
Leftover grilled steak (or fresh if you are feeling super "fancy"), sliced as thin as you can
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
Cheese, whatever you have (true Philly style would be "wit wiz" - cheese wiz)
Hoagie rolls or sandwich buns
1. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and peppers and sauté until soft.
2. Add the garlic, steak, salt and pepper.
3. Add the wine and cook until it is reduced. This adds the most amazing and "fancy" flavor!
4. Stir in the cheese, until melted.
5. Serve warm on a hoagie roll or sandwich bun. Yum!
Just listen to the delicious simmer of this red wine reducing...