Freeze Vegetable Scraps for Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Stock
April 14, 2020
Freeze all of your vegetable scraps in a large ziplock bag. We can’t let anything go to waste at a time like this.
I keep one bag in my freezer with carrot peels/scraps, celery ends and onion skins in it to use for homemade chicken stock. If you prefer veggie stock you can follow this recipe and just omit the chicken/turkey bones.
Homemade Chicken or Turkey Stock
Frozen vegetable scraps
Chicken or turkey bones from your dinner
1 tbsp Whole peppercorns
Kosher to taste
1. Place the bones, frozen veggie scraps, peppercorns and salt into your slow cooker. Go light on the salt. You can always add more later but can’t take it away.
2. Fill the slow cooker to the top with water and cover.
3. Cook on low￼￼ overnight or all day.
4. Let it cool a bit and strain into containers of different sizes. So you have the correct about of stock for different recipes. Plastic Chinese food containers are great for this!
5. Use right away to make a delicious soup or you can freeze to use at a later date.
Start freezing those veggie scraps tonight.