Homemade Bread Bowls for Soup
April 29, 2020
I thought that it would be a fun "treat" to make bread bowls for our soup. My boys loved them! I did it using Zoe Francis and Jeff Herzberg's "Master Recipe" Yep, the one that I always have in my fridge. Just make it in your mixer with your dough hook and it is SO easy to always have on hand.
1. Cut off baseball sized pieces of dough, with floured hands.
2. Form into a ball on a floured surface.
3. Put cornmeal onto a cookie sheet (this keeps the dough from sticking to the cookie sheet and gives your crust a great crunch).
4. Place your dough ball onto the cookie sheet and allow to rise for at least 40 minutes. I like to cover lightly with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray.
5. 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees and put a pie dish of water on the bottom rack.
6. Right before putting it in the oven, dust the bread bowls with flour and slash with a knife. Make any pretty design that you want. This flour gives the bread an "artisan" look and allows the knife to easily go through the bread.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to cool and then hollow out for your soup. Talk about comfort food - yum!!