Jager Sauce - German Mushroom Gravy
May 11, 2020
We love Jagerschnitzel - which is basically Schnitzel with a mushroom gravy. German food is one of our favorites and this is just pure comfort food when paired with Spaetzle (German pasta) and Schnitzel (breaded pork or chicken. This gravy is easy to throw together and is delicious on mashed potatoes too.
Package of mushrooms, sliced
Garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Sherry optional (I was out and used Port Wine and it was perfect)
1. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the skillet and cook mushrooms until soft.
2. Add garlic and sauté for 45 seconds.
3. Give a sprinkle of flour, so that the mushrooms are covered with a light dusting.
4. Stir mushrooms and flour for 3 minutes. Adding more butter if needed.
5. Add a good splash of sherry or whatever you have and cook until it is reduced.
6. Slowly whisk in the beef stock.
7. Constantly stirring until it is to your referred consistancy.
Serve warm over Schnitzel, Spaetzle or mashed potatoes.